We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
To get a larger harvest of vegetables, sometimes gardeners use unusual means. This is also the ammonia for onions. Although considered a medicinal product, it effectively fights the pests of this plant and is also a source of nitrogen.
The benefits of ammonia: in what cases is it used?
Ammonia is a 10 or 25% ammonia solution and is used as a nitrogen source. The use of this fertilizer stimulates the fast vegetation of the onion. The growth of plants is activated and their productivity increases. Onion feathers become juicy and bright green due to nitrogenous fertilizing. Here it is important not to forget about potassium and phosphorus, and not to allow excessive nitrogen input.
Although people often call ammonia ammonia, this is not entirely true, since the first substance is ammonium hydroxide dissolved in water, and the second is its nitrate. Ammonium is not used in agricultural activities.
When the feathers of plants either turn yellow or they turn light green and the tips turn white, this indicates a nitrogen deficiency. In this case, experts recommend watering the onion with ammonia. This fertilizer can quickly improve its condition. This plant food is an ambulance. It is also used to repel insects, due to its sharp and unpleasant odor.
Ammonia has an additional advantage - it has a stable connection, and in the garden is not washed out by rains from the soil.
Ammonia is a food and medicine for bulbs in one preparation.
Ammonia as a fertilizer for onions
It is recommended to water the plants with a diluted substance under the root system or irrigate their green part. Do not use sprayers, as the substance will spray and the bulbs will receive very little benefit. The best option would be a watering can. It is good if it has medium-sized holes.
There is an opinion among gardeners that it is difficult to overfeed bulbous plants with ammonia, and adding to the soil does not pose a threat of nitrate accumulation. But this substance is caustic, and its high concentration can do more harm than good. Negative consequences can arise as follows:
- green mass activates its growth to the detriment of the development of bulbs;
- there will be a favorable environment for the reproduction of putrefactive microorganisms.
Therefore, you need to know the rate of application of ammonia solution. Timeliness and the correct amount of fertilization are very important for the abundance of future crops. After all, feeding onions with ammonia is easily absorbed by plants and ensures the formation of large heads.
How to properly dilute ammonia for watering?
To feed onions, we dilute ammonia in the correct proportion so that there is no excess of the substance. It is due to the condition of the plants:
- So, if we feed in the case of a serious nitrogen deficiency, then against yellowness, the plants will receive the maximum dose of diluted ammonia. In order to water the onion, take 1 liter of water and pour 1 tablespoon of the substance into it.
- For preventive purposes, you need to use a solution of lower concentration - just take 2-3 tablespoons of the product, dilute in 10 liters of water and water the plants.
- If there is a need to use foliar irrigation, then the composition is prepared from 1 bucket of water and 4-5 tablespoons of the drug.
You need to prepare the solution in the fresh air, or in extreme cases in a well-ventilated area.
To prepare the solution, take a pharmaceutical preparation of 25% concentration. Dilute the ammonia with water, and do not forget to stir the resulting product thoroughly.
Pest control with ammonia
The second function of ammonia is to repel insect pests with the help of smell. They cannot tolerate ammonia even in small quantities.
The onion culture has such pests:
- secretive proboscis;
- onion fly;
- shallot aphid;
Treatment of onions with ammonia is a very effective measure against each of the listed pests. This is due to the pungent smell of this substance and therefore it is not necessary to use drugs that have a higher degree of toxicity.
For effective pest control, onion feathers are treated with ammonia and soap. Prepare the solution as follows:
- Laundry soap is rubbed on a fine grater about 100 g.
- Pour it with dill (1 liter), and insist until completely dissolved, stirring thoroughly.
- Add to this solution 50 ml of ammonia.
The mixture should be treated with plants immediately after its preparation.
If onion feathers are then eaten, then they are then thoroughly washed under running water.
Onion sets can also be processed. It is soaked in a boric acid solution, and diluted ammonia and iodine are used to repel insects.
How to feed onions with ammonia?
To properly feed, you need to know a few simple rules. Here they are:
- Remember that ammonia has a strong odor. Each drop of the substance is capable of bringing to life a person who has fainted. We are dealing with a large amount of substance. Therefore, you should be extremely careful with ammonia vapors, otherwise the mucous membrane of the respiratory tract may suffer. It is necessary to abandon the idea of fertilizing the onion with ammonia if a person suffers from arterial hypertension, since this substance can cause an increase in pressure.
- Equip yourself with protective equipment such as a respirator or gas mask, goggles, an apron, and a hat.
- Make sure that no one is close, especially keep children and animals at a safe distance.
- Use a watering can or spray and work in calm weather, early or in the evening, or on a cloudy day. This is necessary to avoid sunburn on the tops of onions. Pour water on the onion low so that the solution does not get on you.
- It must be remembered that after feeding with diluted ammonia, you need to water this vegetable crop with clean water after 30 minutes. It will be safer if you do not use the product with the maximum concentration - it is only needed in an emergency.
Gardeners use the following feeding scheme:
- first pour the prepared solution under the root of the onion;
- then, after a week, you can fertilize by foliar method;
- after another 10 days, feed the plants again in the same way;
- after the next 10 days, water already under the root of the onion.
Feeding with ammonia is carried out no more than once every 7 days. Usually they start with weakly concentrated solutions, and gradually increase the dosage to the desired one.
If the onion feathers have become dark green, you must immediately stop adding dissolved ammonia. Top dressing is also canceled when the tips on the tops begin to dry out.
Ammonia is able to fill the nitrogen deficiency in the soil in the shortest possible time. In this case, there will be no more nitrates in the onion. The main condition for success with such dressings is to observe safety measures and adhere to the recommended proportions of the solution.