We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Garden strawberries are an incredibly fragrant, vitamin-rich berry that only a very lazy gardener does not grow. The modern cultivation of this crop is a combination of a competent agrotechnical approach for obtaining large yields with attempts to fit the beds as beautifully as possible into the landscape of a summer cottage.
A recent innovation among gardeners is the cultivation of strawberries in plastic pipes, which are designed to equip a sewer or drainage system. Craftsmen make vertical or horizontal beds from PVC tubes. These two methods have their advantages and disadvantages. The first ones are much larger, apparently this was the unprecedented popularity of growing berries in PVC pipes.
Advantages and disadvantages of the method
The only negative of this method is the need for material waste. To plant strawberries in such unusual beds, you need to prepare the materials. However, you can build horizontal and vertical structures without spending extra money. Many summer residents during the repair are left with PVC pipe cuts that can be put into action.
Planting strawberries in plastic pipes has many advantages:
- Colossal savings in landing space. With proper placement of vertical and horizontal beds on the plot, the yield per square meter is comparable to that obtained from fields of 100 square meters planted with wild strawberry.
- The mobility of the beds. Strawberries planted in plastic pipes can at any time be moved to a place convenient for the gardener.
- There is no need for tillage, because in horizontal beds it is completely absent, and in vertical beds there is simply no access except through irrigation systems. Pests in the soil, weeds, and other misfortunes that threaten strawberries during classical cultivation are not afraid of such plantings.
- A crop that is clean in every way. Being at a great distance from the surface of the soil, the berries during harvest remain completely clean. They are not afraid of pollution with chemicals (with an "overdose" of fertilizers, for example).
Finally, the beds in the pipes, especially the vertical ones, will serve not only as an unusual and very original decoration of the garden, but also as a protective screen for plants that cannot tolerate the bright sun or harsh winds.
How to make a vertical bed of PVC pipes
Materials and manufacturing technology
To create a structure in which strawberries will be grown, you will need:
- trimming PVC pipes with a diameter of about 15 cm and small, to deliver moisture to the roots of plants, 4-5 cm in diameter;
- plugs suitable for pipe sizes;
- a drill or other tool for cutting large diameter holes in the pipe walls;
- geotextiles or ordinary non-synthetic burlap;
- expanded clay or other material designed to create drainage;
- nutritious soil mixture.
When all the details of the future beds are assembled, you can proceed to the assembly of the structure. For this, pipes are first prepared:
- cut them to the desired length (thin can be made 15-20 cm shorter than thick);
- saw holes in a thick pipe with a diameter of at least 7 cm every 10-15 cm, and in a thin one, small (0.5-1 cm) holes, in three rows with an interval of 8-10 cm;
- a thin pipe with ready-made perforation is wrapped with geotextile or natural burlap, which is fixed with twine.
Further, the technology of erecting vertical and horizontal beds for growing strawberries is somewhat different from each other.
- In the first case, plugs are installed on the pipes, and a thick one is deepened with one end into the ground. Next, a narrow tube is installed in it strictly in the center and fixed with a small amount of soil or expanded clay. Gradually pouring a fertile mixture into a wide tube, plant strawberries until all holes in the bed are planted. After that, a hose for supplying water can be connected to the central narrow pipe.
- When creating a horizontal bed, holes in the pipe are cut out on only one side, and plugs are placed on both ends. In the center of such a bed from below, an additional hole is drilled to drain excess fluid, which is closed by a small plug. Expanded clay is poured into the pipe about half the volume, on top of which there is an irrigation pipe. The top layer is a fertile mixture.
Varieties of strawberries and planting dates
Gardeners practice spring and autumn planting of wild strawberries in plastic pipes. In the first case, it is better to “populate” the vertical and horizontal beds after the heat has been established, and in the second - from mid-August to the third decade of September.
It is better to plant strawberry varieties in PVC pipes that are resistant to adverse weather conditions, diseases and pests. It is worth paying attention to such characteristics as the ripening dates. The most suitable varieties in this regard are:
- early grades - Beauty of Zagorye and Pomegranate;
- medium early varieties - Nadezhda, Pendant and Zenith;
- later varieties - Zenga-Zengana, Cinderella.
Varieties of foreign selection are considered no less fruitful when grown in plastic beds: American Cardinal and Black yourEnglish Bogota and Cambridge FavoriteDutch strawberries Gigantella and Scottish Troubadour.
Plants are planted as usual: without deepening the root neck and not exposing it too much. In vertical beds in the cells, small holes are made with fingers, and seedling roots are already placed in them. In horizontal beds, strawberries are planted in a classic way.
Helpful advice! To make it harder for pests to reach strawberries, in the lower tier of vertical beds you can plant marigolds or other plants that have a strong odor that repels insects.
In the future, the successful cultivation of strawberries depends on timely watering and top dressing. Here it is worth remembering that in plastic pipes the volume of soil is less than in ordinary soil. Therefore, watering should be done more often, especially in dry and windy weather.
About once a week, watering is combined with top dressing, adding to the water (1 g per 4 l of water) a mixture of an equal amount of manganese sulfate, cobalt nitrate and boric acid with zinc. In order not to hamper yourself with the selection of nutrients, this mixture can be replaced with a complex fertilizer for garden strawberries.
If plantings were attacked by pests, classic insecticides are used:
- from strawberry mites, weevils and whiteflies - "Karbofos";
- from slugs and snails - "Metaldehyde".
How to care for wild strawberries
In general, the convenience of plastic beds of vertical or horizontal arrangement is more convenient for most gardeners using this method. The lack of need for constant weeding, saving space on the site, as well as the ability to automate irrigation with water supply directly to the roots - these are the main advantages that gardeners most often mention.